Search: Middle East and Islamic Studies
Categories: Middle East and Islamic Studies
Results 91 - 100 of 1100
Edited by Christoph Schumann
This volume analyzes a century of intellectual debates, political ideologies, and literary media in order to track the emergence, spread and decline of liberal thought as a response to both authoritarian rule and Westernization in the Eastern Mediterranean.
Edited by Camilla Adang, Tel Aviv University, Maribel Fierro, CSIC, Madrid and Sabine Schmidtke, Freie Universität Berlin
This volume represents the state of the art in research on the Muslim legal scholar, theologian and man of letters Ibn Ḥazm of Cordoba (d. 456/1064), who is widely regarded as one of the most brilliant minds of Islamic Spain.
edited by Nefissa Naguib and Inger Marie Okkenhaug
The book examines different involvements in welfare activities not only as contextualised in stable communities and nations, but also as they emerge in vulnerable states and disintegrating societies.
Edited by the Institute of Islamic Studies of the University of Zaragoza
Built on the scarce, but not insignificant surviving materials of Andalusi Arabic, this work provides a synchronic descriptive survey as complete as possible of its basic grammar and lexicon, plus some diachronic comparative remarks, allowing the reader to obtain a near accurate picture of this ...
Maaike van Berkel, University of Amsterdam, Nadia El Cheikh, American University Beirut, Hugh Kennedy, SOAS, London and Letizia Osti, University of Milan
The reign of al-Muqtadir (295-320/908-32) is a crucial epoch in Abbasid history. Four scholars question the picture of decline attached to this period, exploring the formal and informal power relationships that shaped politics at the court of this caliph.
Drawing on central issues in social sciences, modernity, nationalism, conflict and rural development, this book offers a comprehensive reading of settlement and resettlement in Turkey, not only the village evacuations in Turkish Kurdistan in the 1980s and 1990s, but also previous settlement and ...
Rudolf E. de Jong
This book complements A Grammar of the Bedouin Dialects of the Northern Sinai Littoral: Bridging the Linguistic Gap between the Eastern and Western Arab World (Brill: 2000) thus completing the author's description of Bedouin dialects of Sinai. Earlier and new data are synthesized in a ...
Umar F. Abd-Allah Wymann-Landgraf, Nawawi Foundation
This book studies the legal reasoning of Mālik ibn Anas. It emphasizes that the Sunnī schools of law emerged during the formative period as independent legal methodologies.
In a collage of images the author attempts to convey the transformation of consumer culture and how it is related to the urban reshaping of the city of Cairo to meet with the demands of globalisation. Evidently Cairo´s urban reshaping is taking place by pushing away the unwanted slums ...
Peter Behnstedt and Manfred Woidich
The Wortatlas der arabischen Dialekte / Word Atlas of Arabic Dialects (WAD) intends to provide an unprecedented survey of the lexical richness and diversity of the Arabic dialects as spoken from Uzbekistan to Mauretania and Nigeria, from Malta to Sudan, and including the Ki-Nubi Creole as spoken ...
Click a term to refine your current search.
- Middle East and Islamic Studies - Archaeology, Art & Architecture (49)
- Middle East and Islamic Studies - Contemporary Islam (4)
- Middle East and Islamic Studies - General (244)
- Middle East and Islamic Studies - Geography (2)
- Middle East and Islamic Studies - History & Culture (328)
- Middle East and Islamic Studies - Iran & Persian Studies (6)
- Middle East and Islamic Studies - Islamic Law (107)
- Middle East and Islamic Studies - Islamic Mysticism (1)
- Middle East and Islamic Studies - Literature (124)
- Middle East and Islamic Studies - Manuscripts & Printing (4)
- Middle East and Islamic Studies - Ottoman & Turkish Studies (20)
- Middle East and Islamic Studies - Philosophy, Theology & Science (135)
- Middle East and Islamic Studies - Qur'anic Studies (1)
- Middle East and Islamic Studies - Religion (2)
- Middle East and Islamic Studies - Sociology & Anthropology (73)
- Humanities (1100)